In this article we will see what is exactly meditation is, How to Do Meditation – things that you need to keep in mind to do meditation and also Physical, Emotional and Mental Benefits of Meditation
What is Meditation
Meditation can be defined as a practise where an individual focuses their mind on a particular object, thought or activity to achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm state.
Throughout the day, some thought goes on in our mind, sometimes our mind takes hold of an idea and we keep thinking about it throughout the day.
Meditation is a technique in which it reduces our unnecessary activity and frees the mind for necessary activity.
In this article we will see How to Do Meditation and also Physical, Emotional and Mental Benefits of Meditation
TYPES OF MEDITATION
There are 6 main types of meditation
1. Focused meditation
This type of meditation helps you focus on a single point of a Breath, Flickering Flame, and Sound of a bell.
The most common forms of focused meditation include Chakra Meditation, Kundalini Meditation, and Zen Meditation.
2. Mindfulness Meditation
Do you prefer to meditate alone? This is perfect for you.
Originating from Buddhist teachings, mindfulness meditation is the most widely practised meditation.
It is works with the fluidity of your mind.
Mindful meditation encourages you to closely observe all the thought that appear in your mind.
Your task isn’t judge them, you just have to acknowledge each and every one of them and be aware of their appearance.
3. Spiritual Meditation
This meditation can help you establish a deeper connection with the divine, God or Universe.
In the process, you experience joy and peace. A feeling of love and light warms up your being.
Spiritual meditation makes you realize the eternal truth and helps to remove from your mind what happened.
The present is where you want to be and find solace in.
4. Mantra Meditation
Mantra meditation basically involves repeating a specific sound, word or phrase over and over again.
Until you silence your mind and enter a deeper meditation state.
5. Transcendental Meditation
This is the most popular and criticized meditation with over 5 million practitioners around the world.
In 1955 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was founded Transcendental Meditation.
Transcendental Meditation is a simple meditation practice where you sit for 20 minutes twice a day and recite a unique mantra.
The coolest thing about having a mantra is that it’s only for you.
Transcendental Meditation allows your body to settle into a state of deep rest and relaxation and clears space for your mind to reach a state of inner peace.
6. Movement Meditation
Movement Meditation pulls your attention away from the distractions around you.
Your focus is on your body so you become more aware of each breath and lengthened muscle.
Yoga is the main well known form of movement meditation, but you can try tai chi, leisurely walking or other gentle motions to clear your mind.
In movement meditation your body is your teacher.
Buy From Amazon –Mindful and Modern Large Crescent Meditation Cushion
Buy From Amazon -Ajna Yoga Bolster Pillow for Meditation and Support
Buy from Amazon –Large Velvet Meditation Pillow, Premium Yoga Pillow for Women and Men
How to do Meditation
- Environment is very important for meditation. Find a comfortable spot to sit in. It doesn’t matter if you are sitting in a chair, or on the floor in the lotus position.
- Ensure the lighting is soothing and ventilation sufficient, and the there is no disturbance.
- Do meditation at the same time every day, so that it will become your routine and you will be able to regular.
- Don’t overdo it. Start by meditating for 10-15 minutes.
- Set a timer on your phone for 10-15 minutes.
- Shut up the cell phone, tell your family you are on Do Not Disturb mode for a short spell of time, till your meditation is over.
Now for meditation just close your eyes and focus on your breath.
Take a deep inhale, expanding your belly, and then exhale slowly.
Concentrate on how it feels to take breath it, how your lungs expand, how the tension leaves your body, and how the air flows out.
Benefits of Meditation
There are numerous benefits of meditation. It is an essential practise for mental hygiene.
The important thing is how you do meditation. Properly done meditation is beneficial
Physical Benefits of Meditation
- Improve sleeping habits, deeper sleep
- Reduce blood pressure
- Improves immune system
- Decrease tension related problems like ulcers and heasaches
- Improved breathing and heart rate
- Elevated energy levels
- Improves metabolism
- Helps lose weight
- Produces more serotonin
- Lessens inflammatory disorders and asthma
- Lessens muscles and joint pain
- Reduce aging
- Helps reduce substance abuse
Emotional Benefits of Meditation
- Enhanced self-esteem and self-acceptance
- Helps in fear, loneliness, depression and anxiety
- Increased optimism
- Better outlook on life
- Increased feelings of connection with others
- Helps to prevent emotional eating and smoking
- Improved resilience against pain and adversity
- More well-being
- Emotional maturity
- Improves mood and emotional intelligence
Mental Benefits of Meditation
- Increased focus and mental acuity
- Increased memory retention and recall
- Better decision making and problem solving
- Better and faster information processing
- Helps manage ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)
- Decreases anxiety, impulsivity and depression
- Increased relaxation and awareness
- Better communication
- Better cognitive skills and creative thinking
- Reduce symptoms of panic disorder
- Enhance the generation of Gamma waves in the brain
Consistency is very important for how to meditate. You begin the meditation, and do it for 2 weeks but do not see any improvement in your body, in the end you give meditation.
That’s not how meditation supposed to work, it is not a quick fix. It will take a long time for the benefits to kick in, and it will be very subtle.
But trust me when you make it a habit and stick to it, you are going to be a completely new person.