Pranayama : Anulomvilom, Ujjayi, Bhramari has a lot of benefits on physical & mental body. when we don’t have time for a full asana practice we can do these 3 most effective pranayama.
Pranayama is control of the Breathing. “Prana” is Breath or vital energy in the body.
On subtle levels prana represents the pranic energy responsible for life or life force and “ayama” means control.
Pranayama is powerful breathing technique that ensure healthy body and calm mind.
Regular practise of various types of pranayama improves breathing pattern, purifies blood, boosts resistance powder and gives physical strength.
Three Most Effective Pranayama
- Anulom vilom
- Ujjayi Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama
1. Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Anulom Vilom Pranayama is known as “Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique”.
It is best technique to handle stress, anxiety, and other mental pressures. It relieves from every tension.
The best time to do Anulom Vilom is early morning so that you can get more health benefits from it.
How to do Anulom Vilom Pranayam
- Come to a comfortable crossed legged position in sukhasana
- Block your right nostril, and inhale slowly through the left.
- Hold your breath for a few counts, and then exhale slowly through the right nostril.
- Block your left nostril, and inhale slowly through the right.
- Hold your breath for a few counts, and then exhale through the left.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom balances the physical and mental energy of our body.
- Increase in oxygen and effective decrease in carbon-dioxide.
- Improves blood circulation and purifies blood to toxins.
- Keep mind free from Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Mental illness, Hypertension and mind related problems.
- Keep away the heart-related problems.
- Improves concentration and mind in positive thinking.
- Give a great glowing skin with no pimples and no skin problems.
- Regular body exercises of Anulom Vilom keep our body clean and strong.
- Body with active and more energy level.
- Helps to improve the functioning of lungs.
- Cures diseases like a Migraine, Headache, Asthma, Heart attack, Gastric problems, depression,
- cures in Sinus, Respiratory problems, Blood pressure, Constipation and Heart blockage.
- It is a good breathing exercise that provides all the benefits of deep breathing.
Buy from Amazon – Letsfit Yoga Mat, 1/4 Inch Thick Eco Friendly Workout Mat with Alignment Lines & Carrying Strap, Non-Slip TPE Fitness Exercise Mat for Yoga
Buy from Amazon – Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa – Plum Sengled Bluetooth bulb
Buy from Amazon – Amazfit GTS 2 Mini Fitness Smart Watch Alexa Built-In, Super-Light Thin Design, SpO2 Level Measurement, 14-Days Battery Life, 70+ Sports Modes, Heart Rate, Sleep, Stress Level
2. Ujjayi pranayama
This pranayama derives its name from the Sanskrit word “Ujjayi,” which means to be victorious or to conquer.
The pranayama is referred to as ocean breath or hissing breath.
Ujjayi is an excellent way to prepare for your practice while calming the body and creating internal body heat due to the movement of air passing through the body through a constricted throat
The process of breathing and exhaling is done through the nose.. The “ocean sound” is created by moving the glottis as air passes in and out.
As the throat passage is narrowed so, too, is the airway.
The throat and airway passage are narrowed, the passage of air through which creates a “rushing” sound.
The length and speed of the breath is controlled by the diaphragm, the strengthening of which is, in part, the purpose of ujjayi.
Breathing and exhaling are equal in duration and are controlled in such a way that the person does not suffer.ma :
- Sit in a comfortable position. Relax and be comfortable.
- Relaxing your body, gently close your eyes
- Take a few breaths to relax your body before entering into the Pranayama.
- Inhale and exhale through your mouth. Feeling the air of your inhalations pass through your windpipe.
- On the exhalations, slightly contract the back of your throat, on the exhale softly whispering the sound, “ahhh.”
- Once you become comfortable with the exhalations, also maintain the slight constrictions of your throat for the inhalations.
- The sound of your breaths will be similar to the ocean waves. Softly moving in and out.
- Once you feel comfortable controlling your throat, then begin to gently close your mouth and breathing through nose, while keeping the same constriction in your throat.
- Allow the inhalations to fill your lungs, trying to fill every corner of your lungs, and ultimately releasing the air and compressing the lungs for the exhale.
- Concentrate on the sound of your breath, allow it to soothe your mind.
- The sound should be audible but not so loud that it could be heard from the other side of the room.
Benefits of Ujjayi Pranayama
- Helps rectify fluid retention in the body (edema/ dropsy).
- Clears phlegm & increases appetite.
- Beneficial in chronic cold, cough, indigestion, liver problems, dysentery, fever and other diseases.
- Ghatashudhhi or purification of seven dhatus (elements) Skin, flesh, blood, bones, marrow, fat and semen.
- There is enrichment of the voice.
- Stimulates and balances the thyroid.
3. Bhramari Pranayama
Bhramari Pranayama is name from a humming bee. That is, when we do this Pranayama, a vibration or sound comes out like the sound of a bee.
In Bhramari Pranayama, as you exhale, the ear canal is closed with index fingers and humming sound like a bee is produced from the back of the throat.
There are 3 types of Bhramari Pranayama
- Basic Bhramari
- Silent Bhramari
- Bhramari in Shanmukhi Mudra
Basic bhramari pranayama :
In Basic bhramari, only ears (as a sense organ) is closed using index fingers to cut off from external noise and feel the clear internalize vibrations produced by the humming sound.
Silent bhramari pranayama:
This pranayama is usually done after basic Bhramari Pranayama.
First you have to do the former type of pranayama for about 5-6 rounds, than start exhaling the air without actually producing any vibrating sound.
Bhramari in Shanmukhi Mudra
When one is comfortable in practicing basic bhramari, practice it with Shanmukhi mudra.
In Shanmukhi mudra, 6 gates through which external agency enters in the body (2 ears, 2 eyes, nose, and mouth) using five fingers.
How to to do Shanmukhi Bhramari Pranayama
- Sit in a clean place in Padmasana or Sukhasana
- Now close the holes of both your ears with the thumb of your hands.
- Now place the index finger and middle fingers of both your hands on the top of the eyebrows.
- Keep the remaining ring finger and little finger on the eyes
- Do not press your hands too hard or leave looser
- Now inhale and chant Om but it is to be pronounced in the mind.
- Now exhale, when exhaling, the sound is like a buzzing sound like ‘hmmm’
- The breathing time should be 3 to 5 seconds and the exhalation time should be 15 to 20 seconds.
- Now slowly come to your normal position.
Precautions while doing Bhramari Pranayama
- Ensure that you are not putting your finger inside the ear but on the cartilage.
- Don’t press the cartilage too hard. Gently press and release with the finger.
- do this pranayama empty stomach
- If you feel dizzy while practicing, stop the exercise and start normal breathing.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama
- Relieves tension, anger and anxiety
- Relieves hypertension as it calms down the agitated mind
- Helps mitigate migraines
- Improves concentration and memory
- Helps in reducing blood pressure
Stress is all around us, and can be exhasting by doing Pranayama practice you can overcome the stress level.
By practicing Anulom Vilom, Ujjayi and Bhramari pranayama we are clearing the obstacles in our bodies, allowing breath and energy (prana) to flow freely.