Kapalbhati Pranayama is a yogic breathing practice that is considered a kriya, or internal purification practice.
The term derived from the Sanskrit word kapal meaning “skull” and bhati meaning “to shine”. Kapalbhati is a kriya, a purification technique of Hatha yoga.
By doing regular kapalbhati, your face glows because it improves blood circulation.
This pranayama is considered an intermediate to advanced breathing technique.
It is believed to cleanse the internal organs, energize the nervous and circulatory system, as well as improve metabolism.
In addition many yogis practice this pranayama in order to clear the nadis.
The main function of Kapalbhati is to purify the lungs, that is, to replenish as much oxygen in our body.
In Kapalbhati we do quick exhalation and natural inhalation. That is, we do not pay attention to breathing but when we exhale we have to pay attention to it.
Quick exhalation and natural inhalation follow each other. So how many rounds you should practice this yoga?
If you are beginners in kapalbhati , begin slowly, starting with one minute and then working your way up.
We should practice this breath yoga in the morning because that time our body is ready and working to purify.
How to do Kapalbhati for beginners :
- Sit in padmasana or sukhasana and keep your back straight.
- Keep your hands in the gyana mudra on the knees. Face to be relaxed.
- Inhale deeply through both nostril, expanding abdominal and exhale with the forceful contraction of abdominal muscles(pull the abdomen in by quickly contracting the abdominal muscles and exhale through the nose)
- The air is pushed out of lungs by contraction of the diaphragm.
- After exhaling, breathe again but do not put any kind of effort, take the normal. To inhale just relax and lungs will automatically expand and filled with air.
- In this way you have to do 15 times, this will be one round finish.
Initially you have to do 3 rounds in this way.
Buy from Amazon – Crystal Cross in Gift Box – Modern Cross Decor
Buy from Amazon – YU FENG Turkish Blue Evil Eye Flowers Tree with Healing Chakra Gemstones and Camel Figurine for Good Luck Wealth Prosperity Home Office Decor Fengshui Protection Gift
Buy from Amazon – Letsfit Yoga Mat, 1/4 Inch Thick Eco Friendly Workout Mat with Alignment Lines & Carrying Strap, Non-Slip TPE Fitness Exercise Mat for Yoga.
Benefits of Kapalbhati :
- Kapalbhati cleanses the lungs and fills oxygen in the body.
- Blood is replenished, which supplies oxygen to cells.
- Digestion is improved.
- Abdominal muscles are strengthened.
- Prepare the mind for meditation.
- Energize the mind for mental work.
- Kapalbhati cleanses both body and mind.
- Regular practice of kapalbhati can help you in losing your body fat, especially the belly area.
What to keep in mind while doing Kapalbhati.
- Kapalbhati should be do empty stomach.
- Don’t do it in the evening, do it in the morning.
- If you feel tired or dizzy while doing Kapalbhati, stop and relax.
- Don’t do if you have a hernia, High blood presser.
In the beginning you will find Kapalbhati a bit difficult, but as soon as you do it every day, you will be able to do it with a fast.
Kapalbhati is a proven way of rejuvenating your body and getting rid of daily stress and anxiety.
The regular practice of Kapalbhati helps your body to absorb more fresh air daily basis and helps to improve the blood circulation within the body.