Padmasana word is derived from Sanskrit word. ‘Padma’ means Lotus and ‘asana’ means pose, so Padmasana means “Lotus Pose”.
It is a cross legged sitting asana originating in meditative practices of ancient India, in which the feet are placed on the opposite thighs.
It is an established asana, commonly used for meditation in yoga. The lotus is one of the most powerful symbols that are known to have transcended both religion and time.
You can do variations by half lotus, bound lotus, and psychic union pose.
How to do Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
- Sit on a flat surface with erect your spine and stretched out your legs.
- Bend the right knee, and use your hands to place it on the left thigh. Make sure that the sole of the feet point upward and the heel is close to the abdomen.
- Now repeat the same steps with the other leg.
- In padmasana your hands should be place in “Gyan Mudra” position.
- Keep the hand straight and spine erect.
- Now inhale and hold it until you can stop and then exhale.
Buy from Amazon – URBNFit Yoga Wheel and Strap Set – Designed for Yoga Wheel Pose- for Stretching and Increased Flexibility.
Buy from Amazon – Back Stretcher with Magnetic Points for Yoga Training Pain Relief Back Massager Lumbar for Pain Relief Spinal Back Stretcher Relieve Back Pain.
Buy from Amazon – DharmaObjects Solid Mango Wood Hand Carved Prayer Puja Shrine Altar Meditation Table.
Benefits of Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
- Opens up the hips.
- Stretches the ankles and knees.
- Calms the brain.
- Improves digestion.
- Reduces muscular tension and brings blood under control.
- Relaxes the mind.
- Reduces menstrual discomfort.
- Helps to keep the spine straight.
- Helps to develop good posture.
- keeps joint and ligaments flexible.
- Stimulates the spine, Pelvis, Abdomen, and Bladder.
- Half Lotus Pose
- Half Butterfly Pose
- Baby Cradling Pose
- Half Spinal Twist
- Pigeon Pose
Precautions while performing Lotus Pose
- Those who are suffering from knee pain and swelling should not do this asana
- Those who have back pain, sciatica, and osteoarthritis should not do this asana
Padmasana seems a little difficult at first, but as you practice, you will find it easier. Its benefits are many.
Do this asana regularly in the morning and gradually increase the time of this asana.
Do not force too much while doing this asana. Initially do half padmasana and later slowly do padmasana.
If you face any problem while doing asana, immediately consult a yoga expert.