The Sapta Vajrasana mentioned in the Yogasastra is one of the beneficial asanas. This asana is considered to be an extended form of Vajrasana.
supta means slept. In this, you do this yoga practice by sitting back in Vajrasana, due to which it is called Sleeping Vajrasana.
It is beneficial for health after practicing the postures bending forward. When these two asanas are compared, the practice of Vajrasana is done sitting in one place. But the sleeping Vajrasana is done by lying backwards.
You can practice Vajrasana on an empty stomach or even after eating food. But the practice of Supta Vajrasana should be done only on an empty stomach.
The practice of supta Vajrasana immediately after a meal causes harm at the place of gain.
If this posture is done properly, it has many benefits. It is very beneficial for back pain, constipation, respiratory diseases, blood circulation, abdominal fat, menstruation, thin waist etc.
Supta Vajrasana Steps
- First you sit in Vajrasana.
- Keep both your hands on your knees and prepare your body for further action, keep your breath normal.
- Now move both hands backwards and place the elbow on the ground.
- Tilt your upper body backwards while placing a little weight on the elbow of the hands.
- Keep your back fully on the floor.
- After this, turn your head backwards, that is, tilt your back.
- In this case your back will be like a segmental body in which your shoulders and head will remain on the floor and your back will be above the floor.
- Now straighten both your hands and keep them on both your thighs.
- You should gradually increase the duration of supta Vajrasana.
- You can do 3 to 5 cycles of this.
Benefits of Supta Vajrasana
- By practicing this asana you can get control over constipation.
- If you want to get rid of your loose molded stomach muscles then this asana should be practiced. Not only this, it keeps you away from a lot of stomach related diseases.
- This asana improves blood circulation and thus prevents you from many troubles.
- With its regular practice, you can reduce your back pain.
- It makes your knee strong.
- This is a highly recommended yoga practice for your thigh muscles.
- With regular practice of this asana, you can reduce abdominal fat.
- It also keeps the spine healthy and fit.
- By practicing this, you can control your asthma to a great extent.
- By practicing this asana you can make your waist slim, beautiful.
- Eliminates problems such as menstruation, white discharge of women.
Buy from Amazon – 5 in 1 Yoga Foam wedge Blocks, (pair),Calf raise blocks, Yoga knee pads set, Calf stretcher, Yoga wrist support, Heel stretcher with gym bag.
Buy from Amazon –Gruper Yoga mat non slip, Eco friendly fitness exercise mat with carrying strap
Buy from Amazon – Manduka Cork Yoga Block, Resilient Material, Portable Fit & Easy to Grip
Who should not do this asana and the precautions to be taken while doing it?
- It would be a good thing that you practice supta Vajrasana in the morning at sunrise.
- Before practicing the Supta Vajrasana your stomach must be completely empty. So if you want to practice this asana in the evening, then make sure that there is a difference of at least 5 to 6 hours between your food and practice.
- In the practice of this asana, care should be taken while lying back.
- One should not practice this asana if there is too much stomach problem.
- One should not practice this yoga if there is pain in the hips.
- Do not do it if you have knee pain.
- If you have slipped disc problem, do not do this asana.
- Individuals suffering from knee pain should avoid doing this asana.
- If you have neck pain, do not do this exercise.
- If you have problems with back pain, do not try to do this asana.
- Do not practice this asana in case of osteoporosis and vertigo.
Perform these asanas before performing suptaviraasana
Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
Hero pose (Virasana)