Setubandhasana is named after two words: “Setu” and “Bandha”. “Setu” means bridge and “bandha” means to bind. In this asana, you tie your body in a bridge posture or keep it restrained, hence its name “Sethubandhasana” or bridge poise.
Bridge Pose (Sethu Bandhasana) is one of the best asanas to give strength and stretch to the body, doing this asana provides relief from back pain and headache.
This asana is very popular among people to keep the body away from diseases and increase muscle flexibility.
Usually this asana is done in the morning but in the evening this asana can be practiced.
But before practicing this asana in the evening, it should be ensured that your stomach food is digested properly.
Steps of Bridge Pose or Setu Bandhasana
- First of all lie back on the ground.
- After this, bend your knees and maintain a distance between your legs and hips on the ground.
- The distance from the pelvis should be 10 to 12 inches and with this the knees and ankles of the feet should be in a straight line.
- After this, move both arms of your hands under your body in the same position with the hips and knees elevated and interlock both palms together. The palms should touch the ground.
- Now inhale and lightly raise your lower back from the ground. During this time, the middle and upper part of your back should also rise above the ground.
- After this, gently bend your shoulders and try to touch the chest without turning your chin. Maintain the balance of your body weight on your shoulders, arms and legs and leave the palms open on the ground.
- Now feel the middle part of your body in this posture and keep both your thighs parallel to each other on the ground.
- Interlock the palms and try to lift the head torso slightly above the ground while pushing with the palms on the ground. If you want, you can also raise the back with the help of your palms.
- After this, inhale slowly and normally.
- Remain in this posture for 30 seconds to 1 minute and while staying in this posture, exhale slowly and practice this mudra several times.
Benefits of Bridge pose or Setu Bandhasana
Reduce belly fat
This yoga affects the abdominal muscles, which helps in reducing belly fat. Along with this, weight also remains under control.
By doing Sethubandhasan regularly, the muscles of the back are strong and flexible. Apart from this, this asana works to tone the spine, creating tension in the chest and neck.
Depression, anxiety, stress and other problems are avoided by doing this posture daily. By doing this you keep the mind calm and the body also gets energy. Apart from this, if you have migraine problem then it will also go away.
By doing this asana in open air daily, blood circulation is fine, which cures diseases like asthma, insomnia and osteoporosis along with blood pressure.
By doing this asana, lungs are opened and you get rid of problems like thyroid. Apart from this, it also removes problems related to arthritis and legs.
Setubandhasana works from the digestive organs to massage the colon, which strengthens digestion. Along with this, many troubles like indigestion, acidity, constipation and stomach pain are removed.
Beneficial for women
Performing this asana not only relieves period pain, but also relieves the symptoms of menopause. Apart from this, this asana is also considered good for pregnant women.
Buy from amazon Ajna Organic Yoga Mat – Natural Jute Yoga Mats – Large Non Slip Eco Friendly Yoga Mats with Carrying Strap – Reversible Jute PER – Extra Long Yoga Mat 72 Inch – 5mm
Perform this asana before doing Sethubandhasana
Precautions to be performed in this asana
-This asana should be done if you do not have any problem related to intestine and stomach.
-If you have any kind of back problem, you should never do this asana.
– People suffering from neck injury should not do this asana.
Like other yoga postures, doing Sethu Bandhasana can also have its advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore, it is important to exercise caution before practicing this asana.
This asana is done when the bowel are completely empty.
Apart from this, if a person wants to practice Sethubandhasan after a meal, then he should have a meal about 4 to 6 hours before doing this asana.